Monday 11 May 2009

Things that occurred today

I woke up this morning after a slightly irritating dream involving Tom Hanks. I’d watched ‘The Da Vinci Code’ shortly before bed, and it seemed to have influenced my sleeping mind. My dream involved me and Tom Hanks going pot-holing in rural North Yorkshire. I kept asking about his illustrious cinematic career, but he kept ignoring my questions, and was being deadly serious about the dangers of pot-holing. It took me some time to realise that I wasn’t actually pot-holing with Tom Hanks, I was pot-holing with Robert Langdon, Tom Hanks’ character from ‘The Da Vinci Code’. I found this much less interesting than caving with Tom Hanks, and soon woke up.

After waking up I got dressed and did morningy things. Lunch occurred around midday, and I passed the early afternoon playing a long game of ‘Eels and Escalators’ with Stephen. We set off early to work, in order that we could go sign up for the Long Walk. The Long Walk is an activity set up by the University of Hull. One hundred people sign up, and all are taken to Hull University Campus. Once there the 100 candidates start walking. All the entrants have to walk at a pace of at least 4 miles per hour. If you drop below that speed, you lose one of your 3 lifelines. If though you manage to walk at 4 mph for a solid hour, you will regain a lost lifeline. Woe betide anyone who loses all three lifelines, as they will be shot dead by the convoy driving alongside the walkers. The last person walking gets to donate some money to charity. It’s a fun tradition that the whole family can enjoy.

Anyways, after signing up me and Steve went to work, where Margaret sent us to collect the hospitality from five different rooms. I promptly forgot all of the rooms, but luckily Stephen could remember them, what with him and his memory. We did very poorly at this task. The first two rooms we had to empty were both locked, so we had to wait for this error to be rectified. Once the rooms were open we emptied all of the trays and cups and other crud onto the trolley. When we wheeled the trolley away we managed to pull a load of leaflets off the wall, so we did the grown-up thing of just leaving them there to be trodden into the muck. We headed back to the lift, and a glass fell off the side of the trolley and shattered, filling the lift’s door closing mechanism with shards of glassy grit. The next room was emptied with no trouble, but the last two rooms still had people in, so we just left the stuff.

Stephen disposed of the broken glass without telling anyone, which is always the best idea, because then no-one knows that you ever did anything wrong.

Kaz didn’t come into work today because he was too busy being a tyke. Good thing really, ‘cos if he had come in he probably would have tried to sell me crack again, and my willpower can only hold out so long. I do love my crack.

END OF BLOG POST. GO NOW.

1 comment: